Utah Governor’s Office of Economic Development
Building consumer confidence and influencing healthy behaviors #InUtah
Mass awareness campaigns will motivate consumers and businesses to spend their money in Utah and with Utah companies. Digital media will drive traffic to campaign website content at the point of action. Social media will enhance the storytelling opportunity.
Utah Governor’s Office of Economic Development (GOED) was charged by the state Legislature to create a strategic public awareness plan and media campaign to stimulate Utah’s economy and influence healthy behaviors during the COVID-19 crisis. The desired results of the campaign were to influence public health behaviors (increase wearing of masks and physical distancing without the need for a statewide mandate), encourage support for and engagement of local businesses, encourage outside companies and film productions to locate in Utah, and create and strengthen consumer confidence in a post COVID-19 environment. RUMOR was chosen as the agency most qualified to create and execute the $2M comprehensive communications plan and statewide engagement campaign across all media vehicles.
RUMOR’s strategic answer to the complex multi-faceted challenge was simple all encompassing campaign theme, In Utah. All other Current COVID-19 messaging has weighed people down, with most recovery messaging sharing a similar tone. The In Utah campaign cuts through the clutter with fresh new approach, designed to educate, elevate, and engage. The simplicity of the campaign theme, mark and message delivers on every level by being positive to the core, non-apologetic, inspirational and informative, directly connected to action, flexible and expandable, supportive other GOED initiatives, encourages partner participation and engagement, promotes in-state and out-of-state interests, and celebrates the unique cultural landscape of Utah. RUMOR secured the urls InUtah.org, InUtah.com, and EnUtah.org (for all Spanish language marketing) as well as all social media channels, and the use of the hashtag #InUtah.
The In Utah initiative was so well accepted by top state leadership in the Governor’s office, COVID-19 task force, state legislature and all partnering organizations, that RUMOR was awarded additional legislature allocated funds to expand the campaign into other key state initiatives, using the same In Utah branding, including Healthy In Utah, Shop In Utah, and Learn & Work In Utah.
- Analysis of primary research to determine benchmarks for measured success
- Creative concepting and master theme development
- Strategic communication plan developed around theme
- Theme expansion into additional legislative priorities for public health awareness and engagement.
- Creation of InUtah.org website and Spanish equivalent EnUtah.org
- Strategic media planning and placement to reach rural and metro areas of the state.
- Agile execution of special requests for creative by Legislature and partner organizations
- Completion of a Partner toolkit to solicit and provide guidelines for user generated content, success stories,using partner resources instead of State.
- Media relations and expert support on podcasts, public presentations, partner engagement, etc.
- Creative and production of all assets for TV, radio, print, outdoor, paid digital, social media and experiential campaigns.
- Negotiating appearances and participation of local celebrities to expand reach of message.